Skip to content
- Access for Tourists: Brookside is ideally located to be a base of operations for touring the island. The suites are situated about 2 km from the ferry from Nova Scotia, are within 1/2 hour from four of the most scenic lighthouses on Prince Edward Island, and are no more than 90 minutes from Cavendish (Anne of Green Gables) and 50 minutes from Charlottetown.
- Beaches: There are more than 50 beaches of the Points East Coastal Drive. Both the provincial parks and the public-access beaches are always free and the National Park is free in 2017. The long sand spit on the West side of Wood Islands Harbour is an easy (< 1 mile) walk from the units. In our many years living here we have never seen any of these beaches crowded, and on the nearest one we have never seen more than two parties along the mile-long stretch of sand (the spit varies year-by-year as to whether it is all connected; as of 2016 it was cut off at high tide so you wouldn’t want the cross at low tide and get cut off a few hours later!). There are no regulations about the use of that beach except hauling away truckloads of sand–dogs are freely allowed and seem to get along with each other on the neutral territory with their owners. Beach glass is often found at low tide. The tide around here runs about 6′, so you may arrive to find near-by waves or a gradually-changing sand area or a huge wet-sand strip. If you prefer a more rocky shore…most rocks are sandstone on PEI…the stretch just below the Wood Islands Lighthouse is one choice, and the lighthouse tour includes several historic exhibits.
- Our name, Brookside reflects the fact that down in the little valley behind the building is an actively-running stream that originates with a spring about a mile back, and empties into the ocean about a mile further downstream. The valley has a gradual-sloped path suitable even for wheelchairs, and two footbridges that cross over the stream creating a trail loop. A fenced play area for young children is planned, but not likely for 2017.
- Food: All suites offer full housekeeping facilities including a standard stove/oven, a microwave oven, a BBQ on the deck, and a full-sized refrigerator. Dishes and pans are provided as well as dish towels. Cooking at least some of your own meals can definitely help the budget. Limited supplies are available at The Store in Belle River…about a 5-minute drive, and full groceries are found at Sobeys and Superstore in Montague and Butlers in Murray Harbour. Restaurants nearby are few, but Brauhauts (renamed now) in Murray Harbour is family-friendly, and most fast-food chains have a presence on the north end of Montague. For really fancy/expensive eating out consult the Buzz…a free monthly ad/news paper that has information on culinary and cultural activities…especially in the Summer months.
- Sleeping: All first floor suites include 2 bedrooms, each with with a single queen bed, while the 2nd floor suite has a single bedroom. Additional sleeping in the living area may be possible in some suites for an extra fee. Linens are provided on a weekly basis or as needed by request. Personal laundry facilities are available in Montague.
- Handicap Accessibility: The three ground floor suites (not the single-bedroom second floor one) have no steps and 36″ wide doorways for easy wheelchair access. The two completed first flooor suites (and, when completed, the third suite) meet the “handicapped accessible” Access Advisor specifications. Click on the handicapped accessible menu for more details
- Weekly: Rental can be from one night to several weeks, with the per-night rate decreasing with the length of the stay. The normal season runs from June through September, but other times can be arranged by contacting us directly. The suites are fully insulated, with zoned hot-water heat. Air Conditioning is virtually never needed on PEI but a whole house fan in the ceiling of each suite allows you to close windows on hot mornings and, when the evening cools, open up to pull in cool air from all the windows. Rates vary by the suite and the season but are relatively low as we seek to establish a reputation. For specific rates see the rates menu which leads you to the Airbnb site for specifics.
- More Information: We can be contacted at (902) 962-3335 or at firstname.lastname@example.org